A refreshing change at Bradford Interchange
Dynamic visual display graphics – created and produced by Bulletpoint Design – are helping to promote Bradford as a primary destination for film and tourism within the region and beyond.
The Bradford Interchange project, commissioned by Bradford City of Film and City of Bradford MDC (Visit Bradford) sought to readdress the use of Bradford’s main transport hub to reflect the many assets of the city and the surrounding district.
• Main entrance display boards, Bradford Interchange (Stage 2). Design and artwork for City of Bradford MDC. Please click the image to enlarge.
• Previously little effective use had been made of the available space, with pillars, wall space and noticeboards either empty or cluttered with old stickers and flyers.
Stage 1 – The Bradford International Film Summit 2015
The initial brief was to design and brand the available spaces to promote the Bradford Film Summit – a prestigious event welcoming the world of film to the region. Utilising existing graphics it was important that guest and VIP visitors arriving for the Film Summit should feel welcome and that they had been ‘greeted’ as they passed through the Interchange.
Stage 2 – joint branding: Bradford City of Film and City of Bradford MDC
With many of the displays intended to be permanent the overall design needed to allow two brands to sit comfortably side-by-side in promoting Bradford and District as a great place to visit whilst also highlighting some memorable film locations.
• A set of four destination posters includes stunning tourism photography and graphic icons – used to show how long it would take to travel to each destination – whether by foot, road or rail. This simple design feature (bottom left and below) helps visitors plot their next journey from the Interchange to each featured location; Bradford, Saltaire, Ilkley and Haworth.
• Over 20 bus station poster sites were cleaned and stripped of old posters, stickers and flyers. To be replaced by Stage 1: The Bradford Film Summit posters. Replaced by Stage 2: Four tourism destination posters and four City of Film maps (shown in detail below). Please click the images to enlarge.
• While remaining distinct the posters for each brand all feature smaller photographs, either designed to look like film strips or polaroids, placed over a larger background image.
• A simple film strip graphic provided a template to highlight not only the movies filmed locally but also the many famous and beautiful tourist destinations from across the district.
• Filmstrip light box installation (top of escalators), Bradford Interchange. Printed on transparent vinyl the two-way window graphics are lit up from the outside (by daylight) and also from the inside (by artificial light). Please click any of the images to enlarge.
A win, win, win for Bradford and District
In the spirit of collaboration it’s amazing what can be achieved in partnership when the right people and great design come together to create a memorable marketing project.
Thought: How many other ‘untapped’ public spaces could be used more effectively to help showcase and promote the place you love, live and work in?
Bradford Interchange now makes a great case study to showcase what can be achieved. Many thanks to David, Sarah and Karen for their testimonials below…
“It was a pleasure to work with Paul and Chris at Bulletpoint on the branding. The Bradford International Film Summit attracted guests from across the UK and all over the world. Many of them arrived by train at the Interchange and will have seen the light box installation highlighting Bradford’s rich film heritage. Bradford residents have also commented on the new film guide location maps on the bus station concourse giving details of where numerous film and TV productions have been filmed in the Bradford area over the years.”
David Wilson, Director – Bradford UNESCO City of Film.
“Paul and his team at Bulletpoint Design are great to deal with and their attention to detail is second to none. We used Bulletpoint to create some inspirational artwork and they most definitely succeeded. Working to tight deadlines there was regular communication and nothing was too much trouble. Its always great to work with talented, local businesses.”
Sarah Howsen, Senior Tourism Development Officer, City of Bradford MDC (Visit Bradford).
“The visuals for the job looked amazing and the finished film strips at the top of the escalator look fantastic. Paul at Bulletpoint helped co-ordinate a smooth delivery and liaised with staff and suppliers regarding the logistics of the entire project. My Director said how pleased he was with the work we are doing at Bradford Interchange. We have also had favourable comments from Bradford Council. The project has been a great success and made good use of public space to help promote Bradford and the region.”
Karen Buckroyd, Bus Station Services Manager, West Yorkshire Combined Authority.
“Bradford IS an amazing destination and working on this project created the opportunity to share it and turn an idea into a reality. David Wilson’s proposal to utilise the space was visionary and both David and Sarah Howsen were fantastic clients to work with. Thanks too to Karen and her team at the Interchange for their support, not forgetting Chris at Bulletpoint Design and our fantastic trade print suppliers and fitters. On reflection, let’s also consider the many thousands of people passing through Bradford Interchange, and those who will see, learn about and discover new places to visit.”
Paul Kerfoot, Creative Director, Print and Project Manager, Bulletpoint Design.
Choose Bulletpoint Design to help turn your ideas into reality
Two other tourism-related projects of interest… a blast from the past!
Please click here to see the promotional posters for Bradford – a surprising place and city of film (1998).
Please click here to see two popular logo designs for Ilkley and Saltaire (Bradford Tourism) (2003).
Alternatively, please click here to view more case studies in the Promotion category.
To discuss how Bulletpoint Design could help you with your latest promotion or marketing campaign please call Paul on 07785 777 829 or email for further information.
Gallery – Please click on an image for enlarged view